"Start Seeing Diversity Video" Blog: Gender, Gender Identity, and Sexual Orientation

Image result for being different quotesImage result for being different quotes


Your response to those who believe that early childhood centers should avoid the inclusion of books depicting gay or lesbian individuals such as same-sex partnered families

As an educator my response to a person who wanted us to exclude book regarding same sex partnered families, would be that we need the children to understand family composition is different in every family.  Children need to begin to develop an understanding that not all families are the same.   Exposing children to conversations, media, books, etc can only enhance their acceptance of what makes a family.  We can not avoid topics that may seem uncomfortable to one person but yet make topics easier to approach and understand.   The same way we display families of all races, religions,  blended families, we will include same sex partners. 

If you have ever used or heard homophobic terms such as "fag," "gay," "homo," "sissy," "tom boy," or "lesbo" as an insult by a child toward another child? Or, by an adult toward a child? Describe what occurred. How might these types of comments influence all children?

Over the years of teaching  children I have heard boys call eachother gay.  The expression on the boys faces is usually one of anger.  The boys do not like to be called "gay".  This term has been used as a negative term.  It makes me think  what if one of the boys is gay?  What does that do to their self esteem,  do they worry if they are gay will they lose their friends?  No one should be made to feel ashamed of who they are.   I always tell the boys that I hear using gay as a negative term.  There are many people that are gay.  We cannot decide who people choose to love and that does not change who someone is on the inside.  As an educator we must help all children to develop a positive identity provide and provide support to all children.    We as adults need to keep track of what we say and do to ensure we do not perpetuate biases.  

Laureate Education (Producer). (n.d.). Start seeing diversity: Gender [Video file]. Retrieved from https://class.waldenu.edu
 Laureate Education (Producer). (n.d.). Start seeing diversity: Sexual orientation [Video file]. Retrieved from https://class.waldenu.edu 



Comments

  1. Stephanie,
    Great blog post! I also chose the same two bullet points to answer. As an early childhood educator, I feel that it is necessary to discuss the meaning of family and that it can look very different than their own. I would teach the children that our world is made up of many different types of families, and that some might have two mommies or two daddies. If children are taught at an early age, then maybe they will not be judgmental, stereotypical, or prejudice towards same-sex families. I also agree with you that boys do not like to be called "gay". I asked my husband this question and he said when he was little him and his friends called each other "gay" and "fag" because it is just what boys do. Clearly, we had a discussion on this topic and I told him anti-bias education is what is needed in the classrooms today. He agreed with me. We want our son to grow up in a household that accepts and includes everyone. I find there are teachable moments in every day. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us.
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that we should teach children to develop an understanding that all families are not the same. I think it would be easier, if we can educate the parents to teach gender identity and sexual orientation at home. However, it is our responsibility to teach the concepts to them through books,media, and posters. Although, I have a strong christian background to follow, it is to important to teach children to respect other people that are different. Therefore, we would not discriminate and stereotype other as well. Great Post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Childhood Stressers

Research Simulation

Immunization