As I reflect on the birth of my children I am  fortunate  that had proper prenatal and medical care. I was scheduled for a c section for my 3rd son. A few complications happened during this delivery.  I needed to be fully put out,  the spinal Anesthesia did not take.  I was being monitored with medical equipment and a full staff of doctors and nurses.  My son was rushed to the Nicu because he had a fluid on his lungs and needed to be intensive care.  He also received the best medical care in the city.  The part of the story that really affected me is  that my son was on a feeding tube  he was not able to suck.  I had become septic because my intestines had shut down.  I was unable to hold or care for him  for 5 days.  The day I finally felt better  i help my son for the first time.  He finally started to eat and was taken off the feeding tube.  He needed me.  I was amazed how he from birth knew he was missing me and he would not flourish until  I was holding him

As I read and researched giving birth in Africa, most women give birth at home with their mother and grandmother by their side.  They have almost no prenatal care or any medical attention during delivery.  These women they do not receive any care at all.  If they have complications the need to walk to medical facility which can be hours away while in labour.  If they reach the medical facility they many not even get medical attention due to lack of staff,  a male patient needed attention or a person with financial means will be seen first.  The mortality rate in women  and babies is way to high and should not be allowed.
 No women or child should have such struggles and fatality during what should be the most beautiful experience   It is disgraceful.


references  theguardian.com

Comments

  1. Stephanie,
    It is amazing the bond and relationship that a woman builds with her baby during the prenatal period. It must have been a very difficult time for you after your delivery. Once you were reunited with your baby he started thriving. He needed you and missed you just as you needed him and missed him during those five difficult days that you were unable to care for him.
    I am not sure if I am brave enough like the women in Africa to give birth at home. Then having to walk hours to a hospital and hope that the outcome is good would be hard physically and emotionally. I agree that no women or child should suffer in this way.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Yolanda Arellano

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie,

    What a heart-wrenching story, but I am glad for the happy ending. It is amazing that your son began to improve once he was with you again. I have no doubt that once you were able to hold and care for him, you also began to improve. Did all of those complications happen solely during delivery or did you have some knowledge in advance? Just wondering since you were already scheduled to have a C-section, and there were several complications. I am glad you had good prenatal care and that you and your son were able to bounce back so quickly. It is sad that women and children in Africa do not have those same liberties, and that they are considered lesser than others that go to a doctor for help. I hope this can be changed and soon!

    ~Mary Grace

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Childhood Stressers

Research Simulation

Immunization