Immunization

According to vaccines.gov safe and effective vaccines have eliminated some diseases like small pox and Polio which in the past have killed thousands of people.  New vaccines are only releases and administered after long and careful research.  Getting vaccinated and following a schedule can protect not only children and adults but also babies who may not be of age to receive certain vaccines. (vaccine.gov).

The importance of getting vaccinated against worldwide illnesses before traveling outside the United states is extremely important to protect yourself from diseases we do not have in our country and to ensure not bringing the illness back to our country and causing an epidemic.


Pneumonia, diarrhoea, malaria, measles, HIV/AIDS and malnutrition are the primary killers of children in the developing world. These children die because they are poor, they do not have access to routine immunization or health services, their diets lack sufficient vitamin A and other essential micronutrients, and they live in circumstances that allow pathogens (disease-causing organisms) to thrive.  malnutrition, combined with unsanitary or crowded conditions, makes them extremely vulnerable. Measles, for instance, rarely kills in industrial countries but can cause up to 40 per cent mortality among infected children in dire and overcrowded situations which may occur following earthquakes, floods or when populations are displaced by conflict.A variety of pathogens – bacteria, viruses and parasites – are responsible for the major childhood diseases. Bacteria causes tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis and tuberculosis. Viruses cause polio and measles. A single-celled parasite causes malaria.( unicef.com)



I have some mixed feeling about vaccinations, while I believe that we need to vaccinate our children and continue to get vaccinated against terrible illnesses I do believe we give our children a over abundance at a very young age.  My children are fully vaccinated but I prolonged their receipt of the vaccinations until they were entering school.  I felt their small bodies needed to recover from the one or two shots I let them receive at a time before allowing them to receive another shot.   I do believe that is important to be fully vaccinated before being in the school environment subjected my children the other children and the staff from any harmful illnesses.

As an educator I feel that it is important for children to be vaccinated to protect themselves and the others they are surrounded by.    I would like to see a rise in vaccination donations to underprivileged nations to that their mortality rates drop.  There needs to be a world effort to help these nations provide nutrition and vaccinations to these nations.

Comments

  1. Like you, I am also iffy about many vaccinations. I feel as though all babies and small children need vaccines due to the fact that their bodies are not strong enough to fight off certain infections and diseases. However, I do not agree with giving children the flu shot, I feel like it is causing our children to develop cognitive and behavioral disorders!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing Stephanie,
    Immunizations is a tough one. Some families do not get immunized due to religious reasons. All my children goy immunizations at an early age. I have noticed that there was an increase in the number of immunizations between my older children and my younger children. My younger children have received more immunizations. I also agree that children need to be protected along with the other children they interact with. I get a flu shot every year and I hear different comments from people. Some say the flue shot helps and others say ask why is they are injecting the flu into your body so if you were not going to get sick you will now. I still continue to get my flu shot. I think a lot has to do with a persons belief around immunizations. I also agree that immunizations should be available for the children in developing countries. These children at time have low immune systems among other health problems.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephanie,

    I agree that, as an educator, children need to be vaccinated. Children in any sort of education system will come into contact with others, and if they have not been immunized they are open to contracting all sorts of diseases. When I was a child I only remember receiving Polio, MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella) and tetanus. When I went to college I had to get a Hepatitis B series, but otherwise, those are the only immunizations I recall. These days there are many more, and perhaps that is why some parents are so hesitant to give them to their children. I wholeheartedly agree that there should be more efforts by the fully developed nations of the world to help immunize those in dire situations, such as those experiencing poverty or refugees of war. Excellent topic!

    ~Mary Grace

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand your concerns, I feel the same way as it relates to vaccines. Someone very dear to me received a lime vaccine years ago. Unfortunately that particular vaccine was active. Like so many other people who received the same vaccine ended up in a life long battle. This person contract the disease and did not know until it was to advance and embedded in his system. He carries this disease with him for life.
    Though I get the importance of vaccines especially for children, it will help prevent illness and disease such as polio that can be detrimental, This could be one of the toxins that researchers say can affect a childs development.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Childhood Stressers

Research Simulation