Childhood Stressers

In the past few years,  my family had a lot of financial difficulties,  there was not enough money for bills and food,   I was working between 2 to three jobs,  taking any kind of work that come my way.  Having 2 small boys on top of it was very difficult to manage.    I always needed help to watch them  and was always shuffling them around from place to place.  They had no order no structure and constant chaos, they were always crying and upset  They started to withdraw and struggle in school.  The became very clingy to me.  Their eating habits were terrible.  I had to take better control of the situation.  Thankfully I was able to find more stability in work and able to be available for my children on a constant basis.    They are happy   well adjusted and thriving as a 13, 11 and 8 year old young men.



Extreme poverty leads to stunted development, limited future productivity as adults, and intergenerational transmission of poverty ,  For  children of extreme poverty like the children in Africa  they have limited nutrition, schooling, shelter and medical care, lack of clean water.    "The issues have abundantly mounted to oppose healthy children in Africa. Lack of suitable food plays a major role. The world in general produces enough food to feed these children, yet they have no access to a consistent food supply,    food is not the only major problem for African children. Other issues, such as slavery, armed forces participation, and the inability to prevent disease all stake a claim to the death toll of African children. An estimated 200,000 children are sold into slavery yearly in Africa. This has become a major problem for developing countries–how can a country grow and learn if the children are routinely captured and used as slaves? Without any children learning and growing in a safe environment, the developing countries do not have much hope for a productive future, Not only is child slavery a major issue but children being forced to participate in the armed forces also causes another dilemma. An estimated 12,000 children are participating in the armed forces"( Borgen project).  

Organizations such as  The Borgan Project have taken the battle to the highest level possible. The Borgen Project is an innovative, national campaign that works with U.S. leaders to improve their response to the global poverty crisis.   Their mission is to :
 advocate  meet with U.S. Congressional leaders to secure support for crucial poverty-reducing legislation.
Mobilize: We mobilize people across the globe behind efforts to make poverty a political priority.
Educate: We teach basic advocacy skills that allow citizens to communicate with their government.
Issue Message: We build awareness of global issues and innovations in poverty-reduction through our online and community presence.Unicef and the World Bank are calling on governments to include children in poverty reduction plans and ensure that child poverty is routinely measured and addressed at national levels. Child-sensitive social protection systems, such as cash transfer programs that pay families directly, are also useful in helping eradicate extreme poverty among children, the report notes.

https://www.theguardian.com/global-developmen
http://borgenproject.org/child-poverty-in-africa/

Comments

  1. Stephanie,
    It is difficult to support a family on 1 income. As a parent that works full time I also felt guilt about being away from my children during their early years. I wasn't sure if I was helping them by providing for them or hurting them because I was always working. It's a tough decision that parents make daily.
    That is a high number of children sold into slavery. I reread that paragraph just to make sure I had read it right. I agree, how do you develop your country if you sell the future to slavery.
    Thanks for sharing,
    Yolanda Arellano

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you mentioned, instability in a child's life, especially early on when they are forming relationships is very disruptive. I'm very glad you were able to improve the situation, not only for your sake but for theirs. I agree with what you said about stress negatively affecting a child's potential future productivity because they will be less able to focus on the building of a strong foundation that will serve them for the rest of their lives. You are also absolutely correct in your question of how a child can grow and learn when forced to be a slave, but not only for that individual child but for those communities as well. Robbing a child of their youth and taking away optimal development hurts everybody.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to see that you circumstances did not defeat you! You may have experienced financial hardships over the past few years and having to work extremely hard to support yourself and family but you were still able to go after your masters degree! You are a strong woman and for that, I applaud you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good evening Stephanie. I'm also glad that you didn't let lifes lemons make you sour. You kept in mind and focus the love you had for your family and their needs. Doesn't mean that it wasn't hard, but you made it through. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stephanie,
    Africa truly is a place of great disparity. It is sad to see so many going without. I am glad that there are different charities and movements such as the Borgen Project that you detailed above. It is so important for us to help our fellow human, and to guide healthy development in children worldwide.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Research Simulation

Immunization