In the past few years, my family had a lot of financial difficulties, there was not enough money for bills and food, I was working between 2 to three jobs, taking any kind of work that come my way. Having 2 small boys on top of it was very difficult to manage. I always needed help to watch them and was always shuffling them around from place to place. They had no order no structure and constant chaos, they were always crying and upset They started to withdraw and struggle in school. The became very clingy to me. Their eating habits were terrible. I had to take better control of the situation. Thankfully I was able to find more stability in work and able to be available for my children on a constant basis. They are happy well adjusted and thriving as a 13, 11 and 8 year old young men. Extreme poverty leads to stunted development, limited future productivity as adults, and inte...
Hi Stephanie,
ReplyDeleteYou bring up a great point about how inequities begin at the early childhood level; addressing these inequities as soon as possible is important so that all young children get a good start in life. I've enjoyed reading all of your posts - best of luck in your journey!
~Deb
I have enjoyed reading your post for the last eight weeks. I agree that low income families have lack of access to quality preschool. Low income families have it bad all around. From preschool, jobs, and life. Where I stay the Head Start does give the low income families a chance to put their children in school. Some just don't take the chance to put their children in school or some people just don't know about it.
ReplyDeleteLaQuesha Goss