Positive results of research the Abecedarian Project
Abecedarian Project - This study identifies potential benefits of early childhood education for poor children to enhance school readiness. It has been found that in their earliest school years, poor children lag behind others, suggesting the fact that they were ill-prepared for schooling.. he Abecedarian project was inspired by the fact that few other early childhood programs could provide a sufficiently well-controlled environment to determine the effectiveness of early childhood training..
Significant findings (abecedarian Project)
Significant findings (abecedarian Project)
- An increase of 1.8 grade levels in reading achievement
- An increase of 1.3 grade levels in math achievement
- A modest increase in Full-Scale IQ (4.4 points), and in Verbal IQ (4.2 points).
- Completion of a half-year more of education
- Much higher percentage enrolled in school at age 21 (42 percent vs. 20 percent)
- Much higher percentage attended, or still attending, a 4-year college (36 percent vs. 14 percent)
- Much higher percentage engaged in skilled jobs (47 percent vs. 27 percent)
- Much lower percentage of teen-aged parents (26 percent vs. 45 percent)
- Reduction of criminal activity
For more information regarding the outcomes of the project refer to the link below on NCBI website.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3989926/
references
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abecedarian_Early_Intervention_Project#References
http://www.promisingpractices.net
Hi Stephanie. This research study has some very good positive results. Does the study talk about the methods they used to get these results? After reviewing all the readings this week, I am more conscience of the ethics, methods and level of risks involved in using child participants.
ReplyDeleteHi Stephanie,
ReplyDeleteI had not heard about the Abecedarian project before your blog post. Is this a study that you were familiar with before this assignment or something that you came across and found interesting? An increase of 1.8 grade levels in reading achievement seems like a lot and a good reasoning as to why a child should be in an early childhood education class. Did they mention what they used as criteria for what a skilled job was? Was it one that required a college degree? I always wonder about that because I know a lot of jobs that do not require a college degree but require very specialized skills and training.
I love this post! I have never heard of this project and I find it intriguing. I especially enjoy how this research has laid foundational work for tbe premise of how important earlychildhood education and foundational skills were crucial to overall development and sucess of our most vulnerable youth. Its unfathomable to believe that our jobs as early childhood educators impact so much within such a short time span. We literally lay the foundational groundwork for their academic auccess and it is crucial we implement best practices .
ReplyDelete