Personal Commununication
My scores for the three quizzes fall mostly in the same range. The way I see myself is almost the same as I come across to my husband and my assistant teacher. While my assistant sees me as empathetic my husband sees me more aggressive. She sees me as a little less confident in some situations, which I agree with because I do get nervous when I need to address families about issues I may see with their children.
Listening
After taking these quizzes I find that I am a people-oriented listener. The test results show that I am empathetic and concerned for people which helps to build relationships but also interferes with my judgement sometimes because I am overly trusting. While I feel that I have learned to be an empathetic listener and I have gained experience in my early childhood career. I also feel that I am not as trusting as the quiz may suggest.
Anxiety
Somewhat concerned about a number of communications and context. I fall in mid point as situational. My assistant finds me uneasy in some situations and more confident in others. I believe that seeing her viewpoint on how I am uneasy at times, it a great way for me to see how I may come across to the parents when dealing with difficult situations. I don't want to display any level of uncomfort or lack of confidence when addressing families. I want to let the families know that I am confident in my choices. I research my information prior to addressing them and always consult with my Director with my concerns to ensure my observatons are warrented. I would like to come across and more confident while empathetic.
Aggressiveness
Test results returned moderately aggressive. Maintaining good balance between respect and consideration for others viewpoints, while maintaining the ability to argue fairly by attacking the facts of a position rather than the person holding the position. It has taken me a long time to learn how to maintain composure during a debate. I had to learn how to control attacking the person or feeling attacked myself.
This weeks learning about self concept and self awareness helps to reinforce to me that we need to look at ourselves and our actions to be an effective communicator. Having to take a look at ourselves from others perspectives helps us grow as individuals.
“Your self-concept strongly influences how and when you communicate with others, the reverse is also true; when you interact with other people, you get impressions from them that reveal what they think about you as a person and as a communicator” (O’Hair 2015, p. 47).
Stephanie,
ReplyDeleteI like how you mention the importance of self-reflection and having to look deep within ourselves to help us grow as individuals and as early childhood educators. For the verbal aggressive scale, my husband scored me significantly, while I scored myself moderate, and my co-teacher scored me low. That was the only test where I got a different answer from me, my husband, and my co-teacher. My husband told me that I am stubborn and have a hard time listening when I do not agree with what is being said. We both have very strong personalities and have a hard time admitting to each other that we were wrong about something. It is something I am aware of and I need to work on. The test scores for the verbal aggression were eye opening to me. "Your self-concept strongly influences how and when you communicate with others" (O'Hair, Wiemann, Mullin, & Teven, 2015, p. 47). Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. Good job on your blog post!
Jennifer
Stephanie,
ReplyDeleteI appreciate your candidness when discussing your anxious communication points. I too appear nervous when speaking to parents and addressing issues their children have demonstrated. I do not hide my feelings well in uncomfortable situations. I really enjoyed your post, Stephanie! Thanks!
Hello, thank you for your post. I like how you organized your post and shared your reflections on the results. I agree without that the big take away is to reflect about ourselves our behaviors and interactions in order to become an effective communicator.
ReplyDelete