My Connections to Play


Some of my favorite toys in the 70's


One of my favorite playmates, my cousin Craig
When I was young I was fortunate I has a very close family and 10 cousins with whom I played with everyday. We pretend played everyday, Cops robbers, house, school, made up games, We interacted daily not just video games. We made up games outside, where we even dressed up in costumes and would roller skate around the neighborhood.
Play is an important part of development. As a child we played outside walked through the woods, collected frogs played in the rain, entertained each other all day.
Play today has taken a back seat to school, organized after school activities and electronics. Play is needed for children's minds to grow, develop skills and emotions, learn how to understand circumstances and problem solve.

Stephanie,
ReplyDeleteGreat quotes and pics. I loved those same toys as a kid. Even today I play them. I have taught my kids to play them too. They enjoy a challenge so we do it together. I loved your memories on play. I think it is sad how today we look at play. I feel in a way we are short changing kids by taking away these things from their days.
Lisa I agree with you by taking away play we are taking away so much from childhood, my best memories are not what I sat in class and did but the running playing and interaction I had.
ReplyDelete