Relationship Reflection
My Mother and Aunts, they have helped me into the driven women I am. These 4 strong women have instilled in me the values, and morals I try to instill in my boys. They have always been open and honest with me and have given me the ability to fight for what I want, provide support and use tact in approaching situations.
This is me and my boys, I try every day to raise them to be strong men, to defend what they believe in and to support people who cannot support themselves. I want them to be the best men they can be. I listen to their needs and wants and we discuss them openly.
One relationship I like to discuss is with one of the children in my current 3 yr old class I will call her Jane, Jane is a 3 and half year old girl, she has 2 full time working parents and is taken care of by her grandmother during the day. Jane has trouble focusing and following directions. I thought she was having some issues, because she was always fighting with the children , crying and running around the class, flipping on the chairs and very hard to redirect. I approached the grandmother and she told me to put her in time out. I don't call it time out I try to remove the child from the situation, tell them they need a break and we talk about what is going on. After a few weeks the situation was not getting better. I spoke to the grandmother again and said I was having concerns and needed to keep a better eye on the situation. Via email, Jane's mother contacted me stating children are entitled to a bad day. I decided email was going to lose something in translation and did not want the mother to feel I was going attacking her daughter. I called the mother and asked if we can meet and I would do it at her convenience. Upon meeting her we came to the conclusion that she has been acting out because her grandmother was reprimanding her and parents were buying her toys and letting her do whatever she wanted when they got home from work. We keep in constant weekly contact to make sure we are all on the same page trying to get Jane on a better routine and all working toward positive behavior.


you have a beautiful family. You seem to be a strong and great mother. Im sure your boys appreciate you!
ReplyDeleteI like how you point out, that our relationships tend to shape who we are. I also liked your story about the child. We have such an impact on the child that, that relationship also shapes who we and they are.
ReplyDelete