Microaggression



The term "microaggression" was used by Columbia professor Derald Sue to refer to "brief and commonplace daily verbal, behavioral, or environmental indignities, whether intentional or unintentional, that communicate hostile, derogatory, or negative racial slights and insults toward people."

Thinking back now that I am becoming educated on microaggression, I can think back to an episode that happened back in 2002.  I was working in an office environment ,  in the technology department.  One of the staff members was a Muslim man,  He dressed in traditional garb.  Daily he would as me in there was a conference room that he could go in to pray quietly and I would always find one for him.   One day an other staff member seeing him praying and says to him "your people should not be praying at work".   Your people should stay to yourselves"  I will never forget the look in this mans face.  Especially for that time  to be a Muslim was a target for stereotyping.  The comments were prejudiced and derogatory.  The man I reference was a kind man,  who came her to work in order to make money and bring his other family members over.   He was here with almost no family.  Just the comment "your people"  is inoffensive and an verbal assault.  
Image result for racial friends
I always felt sad and uncomfortable having overheard that rude staff member's comment.  I did go to my supervisor at the time to discuss the issue but still to this day not sure what came of it.     I don't like to put stereotypes in people,  there are good and ad in all races, religions, and cultures.  We cannot judge all be the actions of a few.    There is co much we can learn from each other is we try to be open minded and not ignorant.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Childhood Stressers

Research Simulation

Immunization