Adjourning

Adjourning

Many teams will reach this stage eventually. For example, project teams exist for only a fixed period, and even permanent teams may be disbanded through organizational restructuring.
Team members who like routine, or who have developed close working relationships with colleagues, may find this stage difficult, particularly if their future now looks uncertain. (www.mindtools.com)
The team leader should ensure that there is time for the team to celebrate the success of the project and capture best practices for future use. (Or, if it was not a successful project - to evaluate what happened and capture lessons learned for future projects). This also provides the team the opportunity to say good-bye to each other and wish each other luck as they pursue their next endeavour. It is likely that any group that reached Stage 4: (Ohair 2015)

For myself  being in a group  It is always hard to adjourn from the groups  with great compatibly and leadership.  When working well together you develop relationships and trust to allow each other to be successful.    When I worked as a project manager it was always nice to have a closing meeting to celebrate the teams success, review what worked and did not work.    A lot of times during projects that were successful, with good communication and leadership support, the players were asked to join on other projects to help promote other successful teams.    From my experiences  most teams that do not work well together or have poor communication, poor leadership  the projects did meet time lines,  people were replaced, standards or were disbanded prior to completion.
One of my favorite lines in a movie is from Remember the Titans,  "Attitude reflects leadership" - so many teams depend on the leader to set the tone and resolve problems.

Comments

  1. I understand when it's time for your group to disband it's hard to see it happen. I was the same way when my co-teacher, the young lady I referenced in my last blog, applied for another job and got the position. We were a great team together once we worked out our kinks. When she left last summer I felt a little lost and didn't know if I would find my rhythm without her. I loved watching Remember the Titans! There were so many messages in the movie besides just being a black and white issue now after taking this class. Even though the coach was the leader of the football team, the team also had its leaders/captains. If they could have read, How to build a team and followed through, then the team would've been better and stronger without having to go through the fighting and not liking each other and getting past the racism.

    Reference
    How to build a team, http://www.learningcenter.net/library/building.shtml

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie,
    Yes, the position of team leader is such a valuable and important role. I like the idea of taking members from a successful team and moving them around to other teams who may not be doing so well. If we try to help each other out, we can all be successful. I like your quote from Remember the Titans! That was a great movie! "Attitude reflects leadership!". Yes, it does. If a group/team has great leadership, they are bound for success! If you are a part of a group who is not considered successful, I hope every member of that team walks away self-reflecting on what went wrong. Self-reflection can help a person better themselves for the future. Great post. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us.
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Childhood Stressers

Research Simulation

Immunization